Marriage Intentions

By Appointment Only 
To make an appointment, please contact the Clerk's Office directly at 617-972-6486. 
You must have already scheduled your wedding. 
You will need to know the date of the ceremony, the location and the 
Officiant's Name, address and telephone number.

The couple together can file a “Notice of Intention of Marriage” form if they are getting married within 60 days of filing the marriage intention in Massachusetts. Each individual must be 18 years or older, have their marriage plans in place and getting married in Massachusetts. To complete the marriage intention form, the couple must be prepared to answer the following:
  • Your legal names and your surname to use after your marriage
  • Dates of birth and where you were born
  • Names of your parents, including their birth surnames
  • If you were previously married, the number of times
  • Your social security numbers or a reason you do not have a social security number. If you do not have a  social security number please bring your passport
  • The fee is $25.00 

After completing the marriage intention form, the couple must wait three (3) days before they can pick up their marriage intention to be married.

Out-of-State Officiants & Non-Residents

If the officiate for your wedding is from another state, or is not with the clergy or a Justice of the Peace, he or she must apply for and receive a one-day commission before the marriage takes place. The Commission must be obtained from:

Secretary of State, Commissions Division
McCormack Building 17th Floor
1 Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108

The marriage must be solemnized by an officiant who is able to perform marriages in Massachusetts i.e. Member of Clergy, Priest, Justice of the Peace, “One Day Solemnizer,” etc. The officiant must complete a section on the marriage license and return it to the Clerk’s Office. If a “One Day Solemnizer” is performing the ceremony, they must also return the original certificate from the Secretary of State’s Office with the license to the Clerk’s office.
Watertown Town Clerk does not perform marriages. The clerk's office can provide a list of local registered
Justices of the Peace.

Three-Day Waiver

Couples must wait three (3) days after filing their marriage intention paperwork before they can pick up their marriage license. If the couple is seeking the three day period to be waived, the couple may request a three-day waiver through the Waltham District Court. If the waiver is approved, the Clerk’s office will issue the marriage license prior to the three day waiting period.
For more information please call the Town Clerk's Office at (617) 972-6486.