Community Preservation Committee
The Community Preservation Act (CPA) was approved by Watertown voters with a 2% surcharge on November 8, 2016. The CPA was enacted by the state legislature in 2000. The law allows municipalities within Massachusetts to raise monies through a surcharge, of up to 3% of the real estate tax levy, on real property. The state, through its CPA Trust Fund, augments local CPA revenues annually. CPA funds may be used only to:
- Acquire, create and preserve open space
- Acquire, create, rehabilitate and preserve land for recreational use
- Acquire, rehabilitate and preserve historic resources, and
- Acquire, create, preserve and support community housing
The CPA also requires that the Town Council establish a Community Preservation Committee (CPC). The Community Preservation Committee shall have all powers and duties as set forth in G.L. c.44B, and in particular G.L.c.44B, §5, as may be amended.
The Committee voted to have monthly meetings and currently are meeting regularly on the third Thursday of the month. Meeting dates and times should be verified by reviewing the posted agenda or calling, prior to the scheduled meeting.
- When: Third Thursday of the month, unless otherwise noted and start at 7 p.m.
- Where: Town Administration Building, 149 Main Street, Town Council Chamber, 2nd fl.
Minutes are available following approval by the Committee:
Nine members serve a 3-year term (initial terms are 1 to 3 years).
|Elodia Thomas, Chair||Resident||67 Marion Rd||02/01/2021|
|Jason D. Cohen||Planning Board||153 Common St||02/01/2020|
|Mark Kraczkiewicz||Resident||77 Riverside St||02/01/2020|
|Dennis J. Duff||Resident||33 Spruce St||02/01/2020|
|Maria P. Rose||Conservation Commission||45 Edward Rd||02/01/2021|
|Susan T. Steele||Historical Commission||77 Russell Av||02/01/2021|
|Allen Gallagher||Housing Authority||55 Waverley Av||02/01/2022|
|Bob DiRico||Board of Park Commissioners||124 Orchard St||02/01/2022|
|Jonathan M. Bockian||Resident||165 Irving St||02/01/2022|
- G.L. c.44B - Massachusetts General Law for Community Preservation
- Watertown Community Preservation Documents
- Community Preservation Coalition Webpage
- Comprehensive Plan - Adopted June 23, 2015 (Update to Council February 2019)
- Open Space and Recreation Plan (PDF) - Adopted April 20, 2015
- Watertown Housing Production Plan (PDF) - Adopted January 2014