Health Department Updates
West Nile Virus Risk level for Watertown and surrounding communities has been increased to high - September 10, 2021
- The 2021 Farmers' Market Season has begun. More information is available at https://livewellwatertown.org/farmersmarket
- The next Household Hazardous Waste Collection will be on September 19, 2021 from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm at the Minuteman Household Hazardous Product Collection Facility at the Lexington Compost Facility at 60 Hartwell Avenue, Lexington, MA 02421 please complete the REQUIRED Pre-Registration Form at least 48 hours in advance.
- Household Sharps Collection will take place on Saturday August 14, 2021 from 9am -12pm at 149 Main Street Parking lot rear of building .Required Sharps Collection Registration Form
- Any individual who is eligible for vaccination can visit COVID-19 Vaccine | Mass.gov for more information. Massachusetts COVID-19 vaccination locations can be found here: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-vaccination-locations#find-a-location-to-get-vaccinated-if-eligible-. If you require assistance in registering or have questions, please call Massachusetts 2-1-1.
The mission of the Watertown Health Department is to protect and promote health, prevent disease and disability, and access and improve the health status of the community. Its divisions include:
- Animal Control
- Board of Health
- Community Health Services
- Community Wellness Programs
- Educational Resources
- Emergency Preparedness
- Tobacco Control
Click the link for the Health Departments latest annual report (PDF)
Duties & Responsibilities
Environmental Health Services consist of mandated and non-mandated inspection programs including, but not limited to: Housing, Body Art, Food Establishments, Odor Noise and Dust, Tanning Establishments, Hazardous Waste Inspection, Lead Paint and Asbestos.
A full-time animal control officer (ACO) provides services for Watertown. The ACO responds to citizens’ complaints and enforces the provisions of the Animal Control Ordinance. The department hosts an annual rabies day for cats and dogs under the auspices of town veterinarian Thomas Cusick, D.V.M.
The Health Department offers a variety of free community health services to its residents such as: Tuberculosis Screening (Mantoux test), Flu & Pneumonia Clinics, Blood Pressure Screening and Health Education.