Charter Review Committee
CHARTER REVIEW IS HAPPENING NOW!
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! The CHARTER REVIEW COMMITTEE is discussing and recommending changes to how Watertown is governed, so now is your chance! Send in COMMENTS, sign up for NOTIFICATIONS, and JOIN THE VIRTUAL MEETINGS.
|What is it?||Every 10 years, the document (Town Charter) that describes how our town government is organized and functions is reviewed and updated. READ MORE...|
|When is it?||The Charter Review Committee meets online via Zoom on the first and third Tuesday of the month at 6pm. SEE THE SCHEDULE HERE...|
|How can I|
|CONTACT your Town Councilors and CRC members|
GET NOTIFIED when the next meeting starts
JOIN the next Zoom meeting
|Get the agenda for the upcoming meeting or the minutes for past meetings HERE...|
|GET ANSWERS to FAQs or DOWNLOAD a brochure|
DOWNLOAD reference and support documents to help you understand the charter review.
|Watch it.||Meetings can be watched live on Watertown Community Access TV. Videos of past meetings can also be accessed HERE...|
What is a Charter Review?
Watertown's Home Rule Charter (The Charter) is our "constitution." The Charter explains the responsibilities of the Town Council, Town Manager, School Committee, Library Trustees, and other decision-making bodies. It describes every aspect of governance from Watertown's form of municipal government, to how elections are run, to how our budget is developed.
To see how our Town Council/Town Manager government is organized now, who's who in the different departments and boards, see below. Click on the image to download a printable PDF.
Our Charter is reviewed every ten years by a Charter Review Committee and is up for review this year, 2020. In January of 2020, the President of the Town Council chose six residents who together with the members of the Town Council, make up the CRC. In multiple sessions during an 8- to 12-months period, the CRC reviews all provisions of the Charter. These meetings are public and participation is encouraged. Depending on what recommendations for changes the CRC makes, the Town Council, residents and possibly the state legislature will need to approve the changes.
Due to COVID-19, the Charter Review meetings were late in starting; the first meeting was held on October 6, 2020. An extension has been granted to allow the process to continue into 2021. Meetings are usually held every two weeks on the first and third Tuesday of the month at 6pm via Zoom.
All meetings are open to the public and televised live on Watertown Community Access Television. The public is encouraged to attend and participate.
Current Meeting Dates and Agendas:
- Public may join the virtual meeting online: https://watertown-ma.zoom.us/j/96419264286
- Public may join the virtual meeting audio only by phone: (877) 853-5257 or (888) 475-4499 (Toll Free) and enter Webinar ID: 964 1926 4286#
- Public may also comment through email: email@example.com
- All documents pertaining to the 2020 Charter Review can be accessed here or by each meeting date below.
|Tuesday, May 18, 6:00PM|
|Tuesday, May 4, 6:00PM|
|Tuesday, April 20, 6:00PM|
|Tuesday, April 6, 6:00PM||Agenda|
|Tuesday, March 16, 6:00PM||Agenda||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, March 2, 6:00PM||Agenda | Documents||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, February 16, 6:00PM||Agenda | Documents | Minutes||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, February 2, 6:00PM||Agenda | Minutes||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, January 19, 6:00PM||Agenda | Documents||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, January 5, 6:00PM||Agenda | Documents | Minutes||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, December 15, 6:00PM||Agenda | Documents | Minutes||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, December 1, 6:00PM||Agenda | Documents | Minutes||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, November 17, 6:00PM||Agenda | Documents | Minutes||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, October 20, 6:00PM||Agenda | Documents | Minutes||Watch on WCATV|
|Tuesday, October 6. 6:00PM||Agenda | Documents | Minutes||Watch on WCATV|
Town Council President Mark Sideris has selected the following residents to serve on the Charter Review Committee:
Additionally, members of the Town Council serve on the Charter Review Committee.
- What is the Charter?
- Where can I find a copy of the Charter?
- Why is Watertown reviewing its Charter?
- Why are we reviewing the Charter in 2021?
- Why is Charter Review important?
- What can (& can’t) be accomplished through changing the charter?
- When does the Charter Review Committee meet?
- How do I keep current with the Charter Review Process?
- What information can I find on Watertown’s Charter Review website watertown-ma.gov/charter?
- What is Watertown’s current form of Government?
- Is Watertown a town or a city & does it matter?
- Is Watertown going to change its official name from “The City known as the Town of Watertown” to just the City of Watertown?
- Who decided who is on the Charter Review Committee?
- How were the resident members of the Charter Review Committee chosen?
- Who’s on the 2020 Charter Review Committee?
- How can I contact the Charter Review Committee (CRC)?
- Who approves changes recommended by the Charter Review Committee?
- What is the timeline for Charter Review?
- This sounds complicated; does Watertown have any help sorting this out?
- Who should participate in Charter Review?
- Why should I participate in the Charter Review?
- How can I participate in Charter Review?
- What are the main components of Watertown’s Charter?